Geting GnuCash to Recognise Localised tax report for UK

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 20 17:28:57 EDT 2014

geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 May 2014 10:02:37 John Ralls wrote:
> >> On 20 May 2014, at 07:54, Geert Janssens
> >> <janssens-geert at telenet.be>

> >> If there isn't already a bug report documenting that hack, there
> >> should be. That's a pretty bad wart.
> >
> > I wasn't involved in this set up but I vaguely remember the mailing
> > list discussion.
> >
> > The problem for doing it properly then was that tax reports are
> > country dependent but GnuCash doesn't have a country selection
> > mechanism. But GnuCash only works on the locale level, for example
> > to list which account hierarchies to offer when setting up a new
> > book.
>
> How is picking the right set of tax categories different from picking
> the right set of accounts? For that matter, wouldn’t it be nice if
> the canned sets of accounts already had the correct tax categories
> associated with them?

It probably isn't different. The problem also exists for picking the
right set of accounts IMO. The account hierarchy window should ask the
user for a country and propose account hierarchies/default currency/...
based on that country.

And yes it makes sense to me as well to link tax categories to the
account hierarchy. I haven't studied the code to know why this wasn't
done.

Geert