Geting GnuCash to Recognise Localised tax report for UK

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 21 11:19:09 EDT 2014

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> The problem for doing it properly then was that tax reports are country
>> dependent but GnuCash doesn't have a country selection mechanism. But
>> GnuCash only works on the locale level, for example to list which
>> account hierarchies to offer when setting up a new book.
>
> How is picking the right set of tax categories different from picking
> the right set of accounts? For that matter, wouldn’t it be nice if the
> canned sets of accounts already had the correct tax categories
> associated with them?

Taxes are most definitely country-based, whereas the account hierarchies
are more language-based.  Not saying we don't or can't have
country-specific account hierarchies, but I do believe they are somewhat
disjoint in their selections.

Personally I would love to see them be completely disjoint.  For example
if I ever moved to Germany I would want to have a german-style hierarchy
and tax report, but I would most definitely want GnuCash to run in English!