Python Bindings

David Osguthorpe david.osguthorpe at gmail.com
Sat May 31 15:55:17 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 11:42:14AM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Keeping this on the list...
>
> That's documentation, of a sort.  Not great, but it does pretty much
> verify that there is nothing in there for handling budget, or future
> transactions.  Since I would need that in order to do a proper

Yes - this is what I found - no access to budget in mainline gnucash bindings
(never looked at future transactions)
I do have updates to the current bindings (mainly gnucash_core.i) that give access
to GncBudget - however some hacks are needed to actually lookup budgets
by name which although they work are not the hacks you want in distributed code

> >I run my Python scripts outside of gnucash. I see you've been
> >investigating tying them in more neatly with the gnucash Report menu
> >(https://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@gnucash.org/msg34711.html
> >).  I also looked briefly at Scheme-guile and decided native Python
> >was the way to go.  Sometime in the future I might look at integrating
> >it/them better.

I have just got direct python access to adding menu items and creating
plugin pages in python working in the main gnucash GUI.
However, this is totally de-coupled from the scheme report system
- you end up writing into a gtk window - you can use pygtk or webkit
python bindings at the moment
this does seem to work and I think is going to be the better way
of actually writing reports in python than my previous attempt
it needs a lot of work though to become a complete report system
similar to the scheme setup

David