Submit a payment from somewhere not in the GUI...

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 14 10:37:01 EST 2014

> On Nov 14, 2014, at 5:00 AM, Allen S. Rout <asr at ufl.edu> wrote:
>
> On 11/13/2014 07:41 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Allen S. Rout <asr at ufl.edu> wrote:
>>

>> No. You’ll need to script your interaction in Scheme or Python,
>
> I've been working with the Python APIs for insertion of invoices, and
> modification of customers.  I can't see anything that looks like the
> hooks for payments.  That's why I was asking; I was hoping to write a
> python script for that purpose.

Ah, from your original question it sounded like you wanted to pass arguments to the command line.

I don't know what you mean by "hooks for payments", but it's possible that the code you want is in the GUI (yeah, we know it doesn't belong there) which would prevent it being exposed in bindings, or written in Scheme. In either case it will use functions exposed in bindings or write directly to public variables. You'd have to find the code in GnuCash and replicate it in your Python code.

>> or write a separate application that generates something like QIF or
>> OFX that GnuCash can import.
>
> Mm. that might be a reasonable lingua franca.  If I import a payment,
> will GnuCash take care of e.g. splits across invoices &c ?

I don't know. Perhaps Mike Alexander or Geert does.

Regards,
John Ralls