Submit a payment from somewhere not in the GUI...

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Fri Nov 14 11:01:43 EST 2014

On 11/14/2014 10:37 AM, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Nov 14, 2014, at 5:00 AM, Allen S. Rout <asr at ufl.edu> wrote:
>>

> Ah, from your original question it sounded like you wanted to pass
> arguments to the command line.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "hooks for payments",

The python includes bindings to make an invoice, make an entry, add the
entry to the invoice, etc.   No similar collection for payments leapt
out at my grep. :)

> but it's possible
> that the code you want is in the GUI (yeah, we know it doesn't belong
> there) which would prevent it being exposed in bindings, or written
> in Scheme.

Understood, and I totally get your 'yeah, we know'.  I have deep
sympathy for the fact that you're maintaining, in spare time,  a code
base which does 'X' pretty darn well and reliably, and people like me
are whining that it doesn't do 'Y'.

At the moment it takes me an hour or so to give my club's customer base
their monthly statements.   It takes me about another hour to carefully
type in all their payments.  Barring those two repetitive tasks, GnuCash
is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm now thinking I'll take a shot at translating Stripe payments
downloads into quicken format, so GnuCash can absorb them.   I'd be
pleased to contribute that, if it's something the project would like.

I'll pay my personal out-of-pocket money for someone to make it possible
to tell GnuCash, at some command line, the equivalent of

please export a customer report, for customer [thus], in HTML, to
[thus].html, with all the other options defaulted.

I've tilted at that three different times now, and feel like I've
stopped making progress.

- Allen S. Rout