GNUCash translations (2.6.3)

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:10:32 EDT 2014

Dear Mr. Dhutadmal,

I took a quick look at the four po files tonight with poedit.  My comments:

Kannada: the "percent" error in poedit, explained below.
Asamese: the po file is clean and ready to go according to poedit.
Gujarati: poedit complains about 20 errors in this file, so it needs to be
looked at.
Konkani-roman: 6 errors

I urge your team to use the handy program "poedit" (http://poedit.net) to
test your po files and look for errors via the "validate" button.
Please, please download this program and use it.

The most common problems I see are:

1) a msgstr ending with "{space}" instead of "" (no space).  Poedit tends
to be obscure about this, but I find and fix these issues with vi.

2) The line

msgid "Width of the logo in CSS format, e.g. 10% or 32px....."

always causes problems because of that percent sign (%) in there.  The
percent sign gets reinterpreted by the compiler (eg, "%s" means "string" in
C), so I wish it were not there in the translation files.  Just for the
sake of better English, the line should say:

"Width of the logo in CSS format, e.g 10 percent or 32 pixels..."

So far, I generally just remove the percent sign from the translated
language, which may cause confusion.

I will work on these four files in the near future as I get time.

Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D
Senior Server System Administrator
Colby College,
4214 Mayflower Hill,