CuteCash build errors -no rule to make target... iso-currencies-to-c.in

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Wed Apr 22 16:49:04 EDT 2015

Hi Mark,

thanks for the feedback about the cutecash build system. In fact, this build
error was introduced this January as the auto-generation of some files was
changed on the Makefile.am side, but not on the cmake side. This isn't much of
a big problem. I've just committed the fix and you should be able to build
cutecash again. Have fun with this!

Contrary to what other voices here said, the "cutecash" experiment is still
able to compile and also run. To my surprise, it takes only very little effort
to keep it up to date in terms of the build system. It still serves to show
various things:

- The cmake build system could be used to build gnucash as well. For cutecash,
it builds the first 20% of gnucash, but it could be extended to build all of
gnucash just as well. Cmake has some advantages over automake such as it
configures way faster; however, migrating the existing build system is a lot
of work for little benefit, so we don't discuss this so far.

- Cutecash shows it is possible to run a C++ GUI toolkit on top of the C code
of the gnucash engine, using some of the glibmm/gtkmm wrappers

- Cutecash shows that some new features such as Undo/Redo can be implemented
rather easily once we get away from C

- Cutecash shows that another GUI on top of the gnucash engine is possible, so
that some new features are available (Undo) while the minimal subset of
existing features can be maintained. Of course, 95% of the features in main
gnucash cannot be found in a new GUI, as each feature requires a lot of GUI
code implementation, which nobody will want to do.

That's why I still keep the cutecash experiment in a state where it can be
compiled and run. Except for the rare occasions when the build system changes,
which is what you ran into.

Regards,

Christian