Your email...

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 10 03:03:54 EDT 2015

> On Aug 10, 2015, at 3:55 AM, Alex Aycinena <alex.aycinena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Liz,
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
>> Alex, your email address is often getting picked up as a support email
>> address, presumably because A is first in the alphabet.
>>
>> Do you know from where this is collected?
>> How can we put "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" at the top of these lists?
>>

>> Liz
>>

> Yes this is happening a bit and is mildly annoying.
>
> And I hadn't been able to figure out why until a few weeks ago I noticed
> that the Windows version of gnucash (my wife uses that for her small
> business, I use Linux) has, under Help->About, a "credits" button that is
> not on the Linux version. When you click on that button it lists
> contributors for both development and documentation. My e-mail is listed
> under both groups, along with many others, but is not the first, though
> near the top for documentors.
>
> But I do remember recently stumbling onto a pop-up of some kind that did
> show contributors and my name and e-mail was the first on the list. But I
> can't find it again or figure out where I saw it.
>
> Your suggestion is excellent: we should put a comment in these places
> suggesting to people that, though this information is provided, it is not
> courteous to contact the listed people directly and that, instead, users
> are welcome to, and should, ask all and any questions @ "
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org" where people can respond in a voluntary basis and
> based on knowledge of the particular part of gnucash that their question
> pertains to.
>
> I am not personally familiar with where these lists come from, nor where
> that other list, that I can no longer find, was.
>
> Perhaps one of the other developers can make a recommendation as to how we
> can implement your suggestion.

Excellent idea. The “Credits” button pops up the AUTHORS file, so I’ve added a note to the top of that pointing users seeking support to the FAQ, Mailing Lists, and IRC pages in the wiki.

Alex’s name appears only in those files, the ChangeLogs, and in some copyright notices, so I suspect that the other pop-up he found does the same. Maybe that will address the problem.

Regards,
John Ralls