Fun with Git, Redux

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 13:51:46 EDT 2015

John,

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 12:29 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 3:34 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> which means my own patches and branches are superceded and superfluous. I don’t know how to get rid of them, and I don’t know how to update my local docs with the repository. With my current level of skill with Git, the only method I know to clean this up is to nuke it all again and start over, which I am reasonably sure is The Stupidest Way Possible.
>
> Have you read http://git-scm.com/documentation? It’s not the manpage. It’s a well-written book that will help you understand how git works and how to use it effectively.

I have looked at that; unfortunately, I don’t get very far before I lose touch with reality. Like, chapter 2.3 or so. The documentation is, as you say, well-written, but I think the trouble arises in that the book of necessity takes things from a very simple perspective, whereas everything in the Gnucash development realm is far far more complex. I will say that this time around, a few things in the Gitrealm don’t seem quite as foreign to me, so there may still be hope for me.

David