Fun with Git, Redux

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 27 17:05:50 EDT 2015

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 6:51 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 12:29 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>

>>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 3:34 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> which means my own patches and branches are superceded and superfluous. I don’t know how to get rid of them, and I don’t know how to update my local docs with the repository. With my current level of skill with Git, the only method I know to clean this up is to nuke it all again and start over, which I am reasonably sure is The Stupidest Way Possible.
>>
>> Have you read http://git-scm.com/documentation? It’s not the manpage. It’s a well-written book that will help you understand how git works and how to use it effectively.
>
> I have looked at that; unfortunately, I don’t get very far before I lose touch with reality. Like, chapter 2.3 or so. The documentation is, as you say, well-written, but I think the trouble arises in that the book of necessity takes things from a very simple perspective, whereas everything in the Gnucash development realm is far far more complex. I will say that this time around, a few things in the Gitrealm don’t seem quite as foreign to me, so there may still be hope for me.

GnuCash’s use of git is really pretty straightforward, particularly if you work only with maint. Maybe it seems complex because there’s so much of it. Perhaps it would help you to just create a little repository to play with. You can use a single, simple text file and try out committing, branching, and merging.

Regards,
John Ralls