Import Chapter beginning

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 15:11:43 EDT 2015

As discussed recently here, it was suggested that a new chapter for impoting data should be added to the documentation.

Since this is a completely new chapter, I am including my very initial draft here, with the hopes that others can quickly steer me in a different direction, should that be necessary.

Furthemore, there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge, as I do not use many of these import features. I am really only fluent in the QIF and OFX importers. I would welcome additional input on all the other modes of import. In addition, I wonder whether this would be a place to discuss Online banking (HBCI, DirectConnect, etc.).

Anyway, here is the rudimentary rough draft:

Importing Data

Importing Data into Gnucash

Gnucash obviously supports the manual entry of transactions, and for many users, this primary method of entering transactional data into your Gnucash books will meet all your needs.

However, there are many times and circumstances when it would be desirable to import transactions into Gnucash—without having to manually enter each transaction. Gnucash provides a number of different import features and formats that will allow you to add large sets of transactions to a set of books rapidly.

Import Formats

Gnucash recognizes many different standard accounting formats:

·      QIF – The Quicken® Interchange Format

·      OFX/QFX – Open Financial Exchange/Quicken® Financial Exchange formats

·      MT940/MT942 – Deutsche Banking formats

·      DTAUS

Gnucash also includes options to import data related to its business features: Bills and Invoices and Customers and Vendors.

Finally, Gnucash supports a more generalized import of Comma-Separated Value (csv) files, which for a number of reasons will be discussed in a separate section.

The Import Process

In general, any import process boils down to a few broad steps:

1)   secure and verify a data source

2)   initiate the import process in Gnucash

3)   check that the result will be accurate

4)   finalize the importation

Securing and Verifying a Data Source

Many financial institutions offer their clients the option of downloading or direct loading their transactions from the institution’s online services. In the United States, many institutions offer QIF or OFX/QFX downloads. Please note that each institution has its own procedures and guidelines regarding the access of this information, and the user must determine this from the institution directly.

For

Initiating the Import Process

Once you have the data available for import, select File->Import->{target format} to initiate the import process. Gnucash will prompt you for necessary information at each step of the import (for example, selecting the file to import and the account into which the transactions will go).

Verifying the Import

After Gnucash has prepared the incoming data for import, you will have an opportunity to verify that the import is accurate, before the transactions are actually inserted into your data file.

It is strongly advised that you check the transactions closely and make sure that they reflect your accounting needs, especially with regard to assigning accounts.

There are a number of reasons to do this. First, and most obviously, it is easier to take the time to assign accounts to the transactions while they are still isolated in the import; once they are added to the main books, it will be more difficult to track the transactions down.

Another reason to assign accounts during the import process is that Gnucash uses a matching program that learns from your prior choices. Each time you assign accounts in the import window, Gnucash gets a little more accurate in its import mapping.

Finalizing the Import

Once you are satisfied with the results in the import window, you accept the import, and Gnucash places the transactions in the data file.

Format Specific Descriptions

QIF

OFX

MT940/942