Suggested (and Requested) Feature

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:19:26 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Neal Lithwick <nlithwick at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have one problem (so
> far). I need to have the ability to set a Starting Balance for the balance
> sheet items as I am not starting anew but migrating over from Money Smith.
> Since every transaction needs to be reconciled, I would have to go back 7
> years and enter each transaction to get this to work

I may be misunderstanding your question but I think you would benefit
greatly from reading the GnuCash documentation. Here's a link to one
particular place, but you should at least skim the previous chapters:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/cbook-accounts1.html

The short answer is you do NOT have to enter every transaction back seven
years (unless you want to). To begin your reconciliation you need only go
back to a particular point (such as a recent bank statement) and enter data
and reconcile from there.

You are really asking a user question -- if you aren't already, you should
probably subscribe to the gnucash-user list, and get clarification there.

(Oh and if you respond to this message, please be sure to copy the list.
I'm not a developer.)