Suggested (and Requested) Feature

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Feb 12 12:18:30 EST 2015

On Thursday 12 February 2015 07:26:07 Neal Lithwick wrote:
> Hi
>

> First let me say I just downloaded this program and really think it is
> well done. I have been using an older program called Money Smith
> which works great for me but it is old and as the newer O/S's come
> into play, it becomes a little less functional, soon to be obsolete,
> I'm afraid. Also, I run both Windows and Linux O/S's on two different
> systems and I use my Android tablet. This program will run on all
> (well at least interfaces with the Android version). Super!!

I'm happy you like it so far :)

> I would love to migrate over to this program but I have one problem
> (so far). I need to have the ability to set a Starting Balance for
> the balance sheet items as I am not starting anew but migrating over
> from Money Smith. Since every transaction needs to be reconciled, I
> would have to go back 7 years and enter each transaction to get this
> to work (Money Smith does not have a file format compatible with
> GnuCash migration requirements).

You can define opening balances in gnucash easily. In gnucash this is very easy. For each
account the opening balance is a transaction between the account and the Equity:Opening
Balances account. So if you want to start the gnucash book from say Jan 1, 2015 you enter all
the balances of all your accounts on Jan 1 2015 in the Equity:Opening Balances account.

Will this help you ?

Geert