Errors Importing QIF and CSV Files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 8 10:06:45 EDT 2015

Hi,

"Bob B." <imthefunone at gmail.com> writes:

> Sure. The first thing in the file is two blank lines then the line with "C*"
> occurs.The last line is "^".

This is not a valid QIF.  Try pre-pending a line that says: !Type:Bank
as the first line of the file.

> When I try to open this file, I arrive at a page with a Start button. I press
> it and get an error message saying "Line 3: File does not appear to be in QIF
> format: C* Read aborted.". Then GnuCash crashes.
>
> I'm using version 2.6.7 "built from git rev 757a50c+ on 2015-06-29"

Hmm..  It definitely shouldn't crash.  Can you acquire a crash dump /
stack trace and file a bug report?

The error message, however, is correct.  The file is not appropriately
QIF enough for the importer because of the missing !Type line.

> Here is my file, line 3 is the C*:
>
> C*
> D05/04/2015
> NN/A