Obsolete reference on download pages

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jun 11 03:20:32 EDT 2015

On Thursday 11 June 2015 00:21:49 David Carlson wrote:
> The Sourceforge Download pages
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/ and
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/
> reference *gnucash-2.6.5-setup.exe (96.6 MB)
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/latest/download?source=
> files>*
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/latest/download?source
> =files) as the latest release instead of 2.6.6.  I am not sure how it
> knows to select a windows version, unless it knows that I am using a
> Windows computer to look at those pages.
>
> David C

David,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I have corrected the links for the current release. It is something the
release manager should do when uploading the new binaries to source
forge.

John, I have slightly updated the release process [1] to clarify this
step. Can you proof-read it during the next release ?

In essence we should tell sourceforge for which platform each binary (or
tarball) is intended. From there, SF will automatically generate a
direct download link based on the most recent file uploaded for the
user's client platform. If we forget to mark the target platforms, SF
will fall back to the latest release in which we did mark them.

By that same logic we probably should *not* mark the target platforms
for *unstable* releases. Unless there is a way to tell sourceforge the
difference between stable and unstable releases. I haven't immediately
found a way.

Geert

[1]
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Process#Sourceforge_file_uploads