Obsolete reference on download pages

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 11 09:45:15 EDT 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 12:20 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> On Thursday 11 June 2015 00:21:49 David Carlson wrote:
>> The Sourceforge Download pages
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/ and
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/
>> reference *gnucash-2.6.5-setup.exe (96.6 MB)
>> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/latest/download?source=
>> files>*
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/latest/download?source
>> =files) as the latest release instead of 2.6.6.  I am not sure how it
>> knows to select a windows version, unless it knows that I am using a
>> Windows computer to look at those pages.
>>
>> David C
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> I have corrected the links for the current release. It is something the
> release manager should do when uploading the new binaries to source
> forge.
>
> John, I have slightly updated the release process [1] to clarify this
> step. Can you proof-read it during the next release ?
>
> In essence we should tell sourceforge for which platform each binary (or
> tarball) is intended. From there, SF will automatically generate a
> direct download link based on the most recent file uploaded for the
> user's client platform. If we forget to mark the target platforms, SF
> will fall back to the latest release in which we did mark them.
>
> By that same logic we probably should *not* mark the target platforms
> for *unstable* releases. Unless there is a way to tell sourceforge the
> difference between stable and unstable releases. I haven't immediately
> found a way.

Geert,

Your edits are fine.

No, SF’s big green button only offers one choice, so there’s no way to present an alternative. Allura (the software SF uses) is supposed automatically pick the latest uploaded file for each platform to display in BGB, and it had been working OK so I’d been leaving the manual override unset. Guess they broke it in their last update. Thanks for fixing it.

Regards,
John Ralls