sections out of order in wiki Documentation_Update_Instructions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 1 10:57:20 EST 2015

> On Feb 28, 2015, at 11:29 PM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I totally understand this is a work in progress, appreciate your efforts and hope these suggestions will help…
>
> I found a couple more things that could be improved:
>
> 1.       Many of the sections in Notes contradict the sections they are supposed to refer to in 2 The Documentation Change Process -- What and How it happens <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#The_Documentation_Change_Process_--_What_and_How_it_happens>. I think it would be a lot easier to follow if the Notes were moved into the 2 The Documentation Change Process -- What and How it happens <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#The_Documentation_Change_Process_--_What_and_How_it_happens> section so you don’t have to jump back and forth between them.
>
> 2.       1 section mentions creating patch by:
> git format-patch master
> which did nothing for me. I had to do as the other section says:
>                                 git format-patch HEAD^
>
> I’m definitely a git newbie, but would it be worth adding:
>                 git format-patch -n
> to create patches for last n commits (I think that would work from my reading of man page).
>
> (I guess there are so many ways to do commits it is hard to recommend one or two which would enable newbie’s to easily do what they need to do)
>
> 3.       Subversion and trunk are still mentioned.

Chris,

I’m not surprised there are some holes in that page. If you’re inspired to clean it up, by all means do so.

Yes, `git format-patch master` won’t do anything unless you’re on maint, in which case it will do the wrong thing. `git format-patch` will make patches of all commits between HEAD and the origin branch pointer, which is usually what you want. As you say, there are several ways to spell any particular refspec, and picking which one to tell novices to use is an arbitrary decision.

Regards,
John Ralls