GnuCash Android v1.6.0 pre-beta

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Fri May 1 14:49:47 EDT 2015

>> What do you mean reverted? The install of the new apk did not complete,
>> or what exactly happens? I'm also very interested in upgrade
>> experiences especially ones with existing data in the database.
>>

> I didn't have any data on the android at all when I started.
>
> By reverted I mean after I installed the apk over the play version and
> *then* rebooted or shut down and restarted, etc I was back where I was with
> the google play version not your new apk

Ok, that is weird and looks more like VM issues.

>  It is found in the Settings -> About. But we will consider adding it to
>> the navigation drawer menu in the next version.
>>

> You are correct.
>
> three-bar-on-the-top-left / settings / [and then it waits a minute or
> more] / About / Build Version.  Is it possible something else on that menu
> is calling home and the menu doesn't get displayed until the remote master
> has been contacted?  I'm guessing but does the google-master check app
> validity or something?  Clue: my connection to the internet was broken for
> a while this afternoon and I presumed an app like gnca was self contained.
> Am I wrong?  That could explain why I couldn't see the About then but can
> now.

Yes, you are correct. I think opening the Settings checks on the state of
the DropBox and Google Drive sync (if they are enabled) in order to display
it in the app.
It happens when all of Settings is opened and not just the Backup section
because on Gingerbread devices, there are no sections in the settings.

Which reminds me, how do I get to the top of the accounts tree after I have
> moved away from it?

Use the back button on your Android device, or open the navigation drawer
and go to Favorites.

> If I open a file I see my top level accounts.  Problem is once I choose a
> top level account I can't get back to the top of the account tree.  I can
> navigate up and down but never regain the top.  I'm guessing on a real
> android you sacrifice your first born child and drip their blood in a hand
> waving way to get it back.  I'm too old for that.
>
>     - Scheduled export to SD Card, DropBox or Google Drive
>>  Didn't try the scheduled.  I went for Drive for storage and it
>>  worked out OK once I got the android to sync, see above about not
>>  understanding android directory structure, what dirs am I syncing?
>>  Where is gnca actually storing files?
>>
>> GncA creates a directory in your Google Drive with the name of the app
>> and puts all its files into that folder.
>>

> Not here it doesn't. Is it possible you are presuming everyone is using
> Chrome?

I do not understand the connection to Chrome. Does your emulator have
Google Play services running on it?
If not, the Google Drive sync will not work. Otherwise, the app will create
its own folder on Google Drive (after you authorize it).

>  Similarly, DropBox also puts
>> the files into Apps -> GnuCash Android
>> You are not syncing a directory, but rather individual files.
>> I think we should do something to make the export destination known to
>> the user. Thanks for highlighting this.
>>

> I'm not getting this at all, TBH.  My dropbox account puts stuff where I
> tell it to.  Is the fact that the files are coming from an android suddenly
> going to make it different?

Yes, but the app is putting stuff in your DropBox, not you. DropBox
automatically creates a folder for apps which connect to it. GncA has a
folder in "Apps -> GnuCash Android"

>     - Improved creation of backups and restoring of backups
>>>
>>  again, I couldn't work out where the files were
>> GnuCash Android files are here: /sdcard/0/org.gnucash.android/
>> But for restoring backups, you do not need to know the path because a
>> dialog is shown to you listing the files.
>>

> *IF* you have an SD Card that is nice.  Where are they otherwise?

I guess it will be somewhere on internal storage which Android will expose
as external storage.

>     GnuCash Android also registers itself
>>
>>>    to open .gnucash files.
>>>
>>  Are you sure about that? Once again it is possible I don't speak
>>  android well enough but do you perhaps mean .gnca rather than
>>  .gnucash ?  I'm also not sure what happens with compressed files, it
>>  is possible my vm doesn't have auto unzip and real android devices
>>  do.
>>

>  Yes, GnuCash should be in the list of possible apps to open those files
>> with, when you try to open such a file from, say, Google Drive by
>> clicking on it. The app registers for both .gnca and .gnucash.
>> The app handles both compressed and uncompressed XML files just fine.
>> You don't need to do anything extra.
>>

> .gnucash files are greyed out here, if I rename them I can open them and
> choose the application.

Where is "here"? Some other app? DropBox?
I know some people file selection issues with Google Drive. We are still
trying to find a reliable solution for this.

> Is the decimal set to "," ? I'm used to "." for decimal.  As someone who
> has used calculating machines I am used to using either 23[spot] or 23[00]
> but not being forced to type to the least significant decimal when dealing
> with whole numbers.

The decimal separator depends on your locale.
Also, at the moment, everyone one has to deal with 2 extra decimal places.
It can be annoying, we know.
We plan to improve that for the future.

Regards,
Ngewi F.