Gnucash 2.6.8-1 and MacOS 10.11 - bad news

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Fri Oct 2 19:19:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

I have bad news for Gnucash users who upgrade to Mac OSX 10.11 (El
Capitan).  The program will not launch.  In non-admin mode, you get the
splash screen and the spinning beachball of death; you have to kill it via
Force Quit.  In admin mode, you get this plus a black console window with
nothing in it.  I upgraded my laptop to test 10.11 and quickly found this
out.  My main system will remain 10.10 for awhile.

This may have something to do with the version of Xcode that it was built
with (v 7 has had issues), or it may be something deeper.

FYI, another of my favorite programs, Totalspaces2 (
http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/) has really
fundamental problems because of 10.11's new System Integrity Protection.
See http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/elcapitan for this author's unhappy
recommendation.  I would not expect SIP to affect Gnucash, but you never
know.

Jeff Earickson