Where to keep future release note snippets for our future 2.8 release ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Oct 10 18:43:31 EDT 2015

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> (Accidentally sent to gnucash-user, I'll repost here for proper follow-up)
>
> I know this is early. We're not thinking about releasing master yet.
>
> However, I just pushed a commit [1] that changes an option on the transaction report. As a
> result saved reports/open reports may loose one option when users upgrade (if they had set
> this particular option).
>
> I believe this is information we should pass on to users that are considering an upgrade so they
> know they have to check their saved/open reports afterwards.
>
> First question would be: what's the best place to put this info so that most users will find it when
> upgrading ?
>
> My first guess would be the release announcement. I'm open for other/additional locations.
>
> As we're still far away of the new release I worry we'll forget to add this to the release
> announcement. So what can we come up with to remind us this has to be added when release
> is due ?

The release announcement comes from commit messages, so write a good one! You could even say “This needs to be mentioned in the release announcement” followed by the text you want in the announcement. Since this commit is already pushed, make some trivial change to a comment and write a commit note about the lost option on it, using the same subject line as your first commit.

Regards,
John Ralls