gnucash maint: Correct the Stock, Bond, Market Index, and Mutual Fund account types.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 17 10:51:51 EDT 2015

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> On Sep 16, 2015, at 8:44 AM, Geert Janssens
>> <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 16 September 2015 09:42:47 Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> I'm not convinced this is the correct fix for this issue..  It's fine
>>> to set up the brokerage account, but now it's creating subaccounts
>>> that one would expect to be the Stock, Bond, Fund account but...
>>> aren't.  :(
>>>
>>> -derek
>>
>> And if it's the proper solution, shouldn't it have been applied to
>> the translated account charts
>> as well ?
>
> I don’t know why you’d expect a BOND type: There isn’t one. Nor are
> these individual security accounts, they’re placeholder accounts for
> containing collections of security accounts. It doesn’t make sense for
> these placeholders to be of type STOCK or MUTUAL because those types
> of accounts are supposed to have non-currency commodities and the
> placeholders need to have currency commodities because that’s what one
> uses toaggregate security holdings.

I think that there was an expectation (at least mine) that these trees
would create not just the brokerage hierachy but also an example
commodity account within that brokerage and not necessarily expect the
user to do "more" to add a stock/fund/bond account.  Yes, I'm including
bond here even though there is no "bond" type account -- it's still a
type of security even if there's no specific type for it.

Personally I'd rather see the hierarchy assistant change to make the
user create/select the security.  Otherwise the UX changes in a negative
way:  they run the hierarchy assistant and then they STILL have to
create a new stock/bond/fund account!