Investment Sale Commission question

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Dec 3 01:26:12 EST 2016

Hi,

I'd like to update the guide investment selling shares section with some
better information about how to handle commission.

See attachment 1 for the section I wish to update.

The guide example says:

and finally PROFIT is $1525 (GROSS_SALE-TOTALBUY-COMMISSION).

but shows profit and capital gain as $1600.

If you do the sale transaction as per the example, the Trial Balance is OK,
but the capital gain is overstated.

I've tried to alter the splits to get capital gain of $1525 but either I end
up with an Imbalance split of $75 (commission value) or the Trial Balance is
out by $75 (Dr > Cr).

Please see attachment 2 for the balanced transaction as I think it should
be, but which causes the Trial Balance problem.

Could some-one please advise how to arrive at a capital gain of $1525 and a
balancing Trial Balance or explain why this is not possible?

Regards,

Chris Good