XML Parse error on Local Build

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Wed Dec 7 00:32:54 EST 2016

From: David T. [mailto:sunfish62 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 December 2016 4:04 PM
To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: XML Parse error on Local Build

On Dec 7, 2016, at 9:39 AM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au <mailto:chris.good at ozemail.com.au> > wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. [mailto:sunfish62 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 December 2016 2:42 PM
To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au <mailto:chris.good at ozemail.com.au> >
Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> ; frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com <mailto:frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com>

Chris,

Thanks for the response. Initially, I thought that I had accidentally inserted
duplicate entries in the glossary; however, the errors persisted even after I
changed them all in my file. Further examination of the long chain of errors
shows me that they encompass all areas of the documentation—including
ones that I did not touch at all.

I suspect that there is some simple aspect to the process that I am missing,
and somewhere on my system is a second instance that the command finds
and barks about. Over and over and over again. But like the young wizards in
an adventure tale, I don’t fully understand the content of the incantations I
invoke before I make them, and I think I need a Dumbledore to explain to
me the errors of my ways…

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

Are you sure you're running 2 separate commands:
 xmllint --valid --noout gnucash-guide.xml
and
xsltproc -o ../../../output_html/guide/ ../../xsl/general-customization.xsl gnucash- guide.xml

They seem to have been joined together (maybe just by mail).

Maybe doing from the guide/C directory:
grep -n invest-split1 *.xml
will help identify the problem (-n means print the line no's in the file(s) where the string is found).
Id 'invest-split1' must only be defined once in all xml files in the directory but it can be linked to multiple times like:
<xref linkend="invest-split1" />

Regards, Chris Good

Yes, definitely different commands.

Grep turns up only one entry for the particular example I included.

The reason I suspect I am missing a broad step on my system is that there are 596 different instances of this same basic error every time I run the command, so it’s not a matter of a couple of typos in my changes. There’s something I need to do differently to remove these (what I believe to be spurious) errors.

Another possibility is that in modifying gnucash-guide.xml to include the new glossary file, I somehow messed that file up so that the compile process is revisiting some of the files. That would explain the duplication. However, I literally added 2 lines to gnucash-guide.xml, adding:

<!ENTITY gnc-gloss SYSTEM "gnc-glossary.xml”>

to the list of files at line 34, and:

&gnc-gloss;

to the main <book> definition at line 519. From my understanding, this shouldn’t cause the multitude of errors.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

As you’re adding a new file, I think you also need to add it to Makefile.in and Makefile.am. Just follow what you see in those.

>From looking at one of the prior commits which added a new file [1], I think you may only need to add it to Makefile.am.

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/commit/f807ca04401a0d9453b19aba733982737fd967de

Regards, Chris Good