Docs Development Workflow: Am I Barking Up The Right Tree?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Feb 25 17:01:55 EST 2016

> On Feb 25, 2016, at 12:05 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> My etiquette sucks. I should have started by saying thank you for the detailed and patient reply. It’s helpful to have such guidance.
>
> Now, working further down your reply I have this:
>
>> On Feb 25, 2016, at 11:18 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
>>
>>> D) If the GnuCash Politburo approves my commit, what do I have to do on my end to ensure that my Forking copy is up to date, and that I am seeing the most current version of the documentation? The Scorched Earth method is already old.
>>
>> Once you have a fork on Github synchronization is manual: You have to pull from upstream and push back to your github repo in your local repo. If you followed the wiki Git page suggestion, the commands would be
>>
>>  git pull --rebase upstream
>>  git push origin
>>
>> You need to do that in both maint and master branches if you want to keep both synched, but there's no reason to keep master synched if you don't want to, you'll be working only with maint.
>>
>> The --rebase argument to the pull command rebases any local changes you've committed on that branch so that they're after the latest upstream commit.
>
> Not surprisingly, this confuses me. There are two parts to this that are confusing. First is that I am not entirely sure to which repository I am applying these actions: the repository on my computer, or at github.com <http://github.com/>. The second part is how the commands you supply are enacted in SourceTree.

From the local repository on your computer.

On SourceTree you can use the Pull and Push buttons on the toolbar. You select the remote with first listbox in the resulting sheet. (You know that the drop-down dialog boxes on OSX are called "sheets", right?) The branch to pull or push is in the second list box on the "pull" sheet and the checkboxes on the "push" one. Note that you can pull from only one branch at a time and only into the currently checked-out one, but you can push as many as you like. The rebase option is enabled by the bottom checkbox on the pull sheet.

> PS - I decided to automate the docs testing and compilation steps in a shell script. This is what I ended up with, in case anyone wants it:

Good that you wrote a shell script, we'll make a developer out of you yet! ;-)

Regards,
John Ralls