Ubuntu LTS GnuCash "Frozen" at 2.6.9; exception needed

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 18:38:23 EST 2016

Earlier today on gnucash-user I suggested the next LTS version of Ubuntu,
16.04 "Xenial Xarus" would include GnuCash 2.6.11. After I wrote that
message I checked [1] and found that's not exactly correct... according to
the release schedule [2] Ubuntu Xenial's Debian Import Freeze occurred a
few days ago. While the import picked up the 2.6.11 version of the
documentation package, the software is still at version 2.6.9. I believe
the mis-match should not be a problem for the documentation package.

HOWEVER I wish the repository did not contain GnuCash 2.6.9. That version
has a major QIF import bug and a few other important things that were fixed
in 2.6.11 (see the announcement at gnucash.org for a list).

As we have seen, some fraction of Ubuntu users (including me) plus a number
of other linux distros use the Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) repository.
That's why for almost two years we've had to talk many folks through
updating from the unusually buggy version 2.6.1 of GnuCash in the Ubuntu
14.04 LTS "Trusty" repository.

I want to create a bug to petition to get 2.6.11 into Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
"Xenial," as described in [3].

Unfortunately I may need some help; it looks like before the bug gets
accepted it needs the Ubuntu deb source package (and the build logs to
prove it works).

Does anyone here have a the necessary skills? Would it be unfair to use the
getdeb source package (maybe with a few minor textual updates for Xenial)?

I just finished downloading a daily image of Xenial [4] but I haven't yet
tried to build GnuCash in it.

I'm willing to tackle this myself but I am slow. Maybe someone else on
these lists is closer than I am already.

P.S:
1) I find the Debian Tracker [5] useful.
2) I don't know of a way to get items from the getdeb.net repository
without adding it to your sources.list, but of course it's easy enough to
add a deb-src entry, apt-get update, grab gnucash using apt-get source,
then remove it again.

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnucash
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess