[RFC] GTK+ 3 Migration - Alpha-grade Patchset

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 07:18:51 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> ...If we can remove glib, guile, and other
> dependencies and leave it purely at C++ (and arguably boost), I think it
> would go a long way to making it easier to port the engine to alternate
> platforms like Android and iOS that would require their own UIs.
>
> It does beg the question of whether this is a reasonable goal.  Do these
> devices need to interoperate with the desktop gnucash data files?

Yes, judging from my experiences with GnuCash Android, I think it would be
very important for these devices to be able to inter-operate with desktop
gnucash files.
The Android app didn't have support for .gnucash files at the beginning,
but it had to be added because the demand from, and benefit to users was
very great.
By saving the data in the .gnucash format (rather than a new custom one),
users could make edits to their data using desktop GnuCash.
Also many users would like to make quick edits on-the-go, or just open and
view financial status on a tablet while out and about.

The mobile apps may not support every feature at the same time, but having
a common core would allow them to be able to understand the files and
preserve integrity of the data when reading/writing.
As the apps grow and add features, it will just be a matter of finding the
right UX paradigm for the features and exposing it to users.
But the core data, algorithms and storage would already by implemented and
maintained from a common code base. There is benefit of stability and speed
in that.

Anyways, I think this discussion is going into "new thread" territory. :)

Regards,
Ngewi F.