Tamil Translation Reg

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 24 23:26:15 EST 2016

> On Jan 24, 2016, at 8:00 PM, arumugam <6face at bsnl.in> wrote:
>
> Sir
> I would like to translate GnuCash to Tamil. Please Guide me.

We already have a Tamil translation. It's a little dated but is still 99% complete. The last translator was Shanmugam R. <shanfaace at yahoo.co.in>, so you need to contact him and find out if he wants a collaborator or if he's lost interest in maintaining the translation. Please have him write to the list with his decision.

Once that's sorted, our translation guidelines can be found at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation. You can provide either a git patch or a whole new file; either way the easiest way to submit it is to attach it to an email to the list. As noted in the guidelines we also accept patches or whole files on bug reports (https://bugzilla.gnome.org, project Gnucash) or Github pull requests.

Another, more significant, way you could contribute translations is by translating the documentation. This is a little more technical as it requires that you hand-edit DocBook XML files, replacing English (or German or Italian if you're more fluent in either of them) paragraphs with Tamil while maintaining the XML structure so that it compiles into the target documents. They're composed of several large files, so Github pull request is really the only practical way to submit your work there. We don't have specific guidelines for translating the documentation so if that interests you have a look at the documents and then ask questions on the list.

Regards,
John Ralls