Patch : editing "Posted" time of transactions.

gLETTERyYuMEANSj LETTERyOt gletteryyumeansjletteryot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:43:58 EST 2016

> Please don't submit patches to the mailing list. Open a bug in
> Bugzilla.gnome.org or fork our repo on Github, create a branch with your
> patch, and make a pull request. Patches should be written against HEAD in
> the branch you're working on -- which should be master for a feature request,
> especially one that changes the database or the way it's interpreted.

I have finally found some spare time to submit a patch this way. It is on

https://github.com/gijut/gnucash

It compiles without more warning than current version on x86_64, I have tested
it for one hour.

It does no more prints any debugging line (so that the patch is easier to
read).

The limits I quote again below still apply:

>> - The default timezone used for display *should* be specified in the
>>  environment variable TZ in the form "[^-+]*+HHMM$", HH and MM being hours
>> and minutes to add to UTC times to get the local time (including the
>> possible daylight saving time correction).
>>
>> - These patches cannot be disabled by configuration (a patch to
>>  preferences.glade is lacking).

> What's the reason for using an environment variable for determining
> timezone? TZ seems not commonly used and it would be trivially easy to add a
> function to get the UTC offset in gnc-date.cpp.

This is still work to be done.

> Entry date handling has long been a matter of controversy in GnuCash, and
> switching the nominal time to 11:00 UTC from 00:00 UTC is the simplest
> option to resolve most of it. 11:00 instead of 12:00 because New Zealand's
> summer time offset is +13 hours and the total population of the -12 timezone
> is only a few thousand people. That change is already planned for GnuCash
> 2.8 unless we decide to go in either of the directions Geert mentioned.

I have now adopted 1100Z as the default time on transaction creation. Time of
loaded transaction are not changed (and they were midnight for gnucash-2.4*).

> My understanding is that it's unusual for accountants to care much about
> exact transaction times,

This has been refered to in the thread "Rounding in the price db." about
conversion rates, e.g., in the mail dated Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM
shown by gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Rounding-in-the-price-db-td4679860.html

I can provide references to other recent threads if it helps.

>> I think that the coding and debugging style, the TZ environment variable
>> and
>> the lack of patch to preferences.glade are better reasons to disqualify
>> it.
>
> Those are all fixable. Once they're fixed, the patch can be considered for
> master, though as Geert pointed out there's pressure in the other direction
> to remove times entirely from Entered Date. We have to decide which way to
> go.

The coding style is still problematic; and I did not use the recent
Gnc_Date_Time class, short of time to test it.

* the one character string ":". In that case, it is replaced by
the current time and date.

* Any entered date string starting by ":" and longer that ":" will crash
* gnucash.

* if TZ is not defined, gnucash crashes immediatly.

Hope you will be able to play with that.