New Report to End All Reports

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 18:17:38 EDT 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 11:38:44 -0500, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.devel,
Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many of the reports (including this one, I just discovered, when you turn
> on the table) are designed so the data will correctly copy --> paste into a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Other reports may need additionial adjustments, but the Transaction Report
> (for example) includes a helpful "Table for Exporting" option.
>
> I think the real issue may be that even the existing reports have a lot of
> features and uses that aren't immediately obvious, and even those of us who
> have used GnuCash for years stumble around without much knowledge of them,
> but we find something that works we stick with that.

There is that, but I've also found (not referring to Aaron) that many
people want gnc to do whatever their reporting requirement is and
specifically do not want to invoke a spreadsheet.  To me that is odd as if
I am working with accounting stuff I've usually got either a spreadsheet or
a database app open or very close at hand and most modern word processors
actually handle opyy and pasted data very well for people that think they
aren't familiar with spreadsheets (db's being an accepted minority
interest).

> If anyone contributing to this thread has a moment, please consider
> contributing to this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Using_GnuCash

I'm not sure about that page.  I know a lot of work has been done on the
Budget reports for e.g. that isn't in there [time passes] looking at the
sql stuff down the bottom I'm not even sure I've seen that page before (I
think I've read most gnc sql related stuff).

> And also think about if a generic FAQ entry or two might help point folks
> to features in the existing reports that might do what they need. Or point
> them to that page, if it seems helpful.

Once I've solved a problem I often forget I had one.  Generally

  explore all report options
  use a spreadsheet

which, while true, is also chocolate teapot stuff.

> OH and remind them to ask questions on the gnucash-user list (instead of
> gnucash-devel), too. ;-)

Ha! You expect people to read an obscure web page before posting to a
little known mailing list? Dream on :)

--
Wm