Gnucash 2.6.11 on Windows

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 31 21:08:16 EDT 2016

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: wwhk10 <wwhk10 at gmail.com>
> To: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Gnucash 2.6.11 on Windows
>
> I did a seach of easy-invoice.scm on my C-drive.  I found that there are
> various version of this file.  By modifying them each differently, I finally
> figured out which version takes precedence.
>
> This is the path for this version:
>
> C:\Users\ibm\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
> Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\scm\gnucash\report
>
> Can anyone educate me on how this came about?  How come there are so many
> versions?  In fact,  C:\Users\ibm\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
> Files\gnucash\share\Gnucash\report corresponds to the directory under
> C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\report.
>
> It looks as if the report is user specific.  Help please.
>
> Wendy
Hi Wendy,
See
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/cusersuserappdatalocalvirtualstore-this-folder-is/619bd162-e0be-45c2-bf26-860d5a56522d

Which says:
It is usually older programs that attempt to save files / settings to a location that requires
administrative rights which results in Windows writing the files to the VirtualStore folder.
A marker is also created so that if the program accesses that file again, it will point to the file in the VirtualStore folder.

This is Microsoft protecting the files in Program Files or Program Files (x86).
You might like to try copying the file from the virtualstore to the real installation folder using windows Explorer (or File Explorer if Windows 10).
You may have to enter %appdata% in the start field to be able to see the folders under AppData.

Regards,
Chris Good