Gtk3 master

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 31 13:17:02 EDT 2017

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 9:11 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> On donderdag 31 augustus 2017 16:17:20 CEST Aaron Laws wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
>> wrote:
>>> I meant to add still, if we want to keep guile 1.8 support, the
>>> FIND_PACKAGE(GUILE_EXECUTABLE...) rules should move up inside the
>>> branches of
>>> the GUILE2 vs GUILE1 test.
>>> For GUILE2 it can remain
>>> FIND_PROGRAM (GUILE_EXECUTABLE guile2.0 guile)
>>> IF (NOT GUILE_EXECUTABLE)
>>>
>>>  MESSAGE (SEND_ERROR "The guile executable was not found, but is
>>>  required.
>>>
>>> Please set GUILE_EXECUTABLE.")
>>> ENDIF (NOT GUILE_EXECUTABLE)
>>>
>>> For guile 1.8 it should become
>>> FIND_PROGRAM (GUILE_EXECUTABLE guile1.8 guile)
>>> IF (NOT GUILE_EXECUTABLE)
>>>
>>>  MESSAGE (SEND_ERROR "The guile executable was not found, but is
>>>  required.
>>>
>>> Please set GUILE_EXECUTABLE.")
>>> ENDIF (NOT GUILE_EXECUTABLE)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geert
>>
>> I don't have guile 1. guile --version; returns "2.2.2" and guile2.0
>> --version; returns "2.0.14".
>
> Yes, distributions shift this all the time...
>
> I'm still on Fedora 25 which has guile (being 2.0.13) and guile1.8 (being
> 1.8.8)
>
> While checking these version numbers I saw the copyright notice on guile 1.8
> was last updated in 2008(!) and guile 2.0 in 2016. I think it's fair to state
> guile 1.8 is getting rather outdated and I'll keep my vote to stop supporting
> it ASAP :)

I'm very much in favor of dropping Guile-1.8 support.

If Guile-2.2 can be made to work without too much effort adding support for it would be a Good Thing.

BTW, while MingGW64 ships Guile it included Cygwin dependencies--it's a MSYS2 package, not a MinGW one--so we can't use it. I've set up the moduleset to build Guile-2.0.14, and if Guile-2.2 works I'd change both Win and Mac to use that. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Debian has looked at Guile-2.2 even for unstable, but that might be because we're the only major package that uses guile. (The other packages are freehold, libnlopt-guile0, moron, mailtutils-guile, guile-library, guile-son, and gwrap).

Looks like Fedora has guile-2.2 beginning with F25, but I don't know of a good way to find out what packages depend on it or on guile-2.0.

Regards,
John Ralls