GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 17:31:45 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to update the Ubuntu page at wiki.gnucash.org that I have
> updated in the past. It's been months since I've been logged in, so I just
> logged in anew.
>
> I made the change to the page, which includes a new URL, so I get the
> reCAPTCHA.
>
> When I enter the CAPTCHA text I get a blank page containing the error
>
> "Could not open socket"
>
> I have tried Firefox and Chromium, both with the same result.
>
> Various web searches imply the error is due to a network issue between the
> wiki server and the captcha server, but the problem has persisted for more
> than a half hour.
>
> Is the problem affecting other folks, too, or am I missing something?

I'm still trying to update, and 24 hours later am still getting the "Could
not open socket" message.

I deleted the two obsolete releases of Ubuntu (didn't trigger CAPTCHA) BUT
I am still trying to add the information for Ubuntu 17.10.

If someone with edit rights to the wiki could go to the page

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu

and paste the markup below at the correct spot (above 17.04) and let me
know whether you get the same error.

=== Ubuntu 17.10 ("Artful Aardvark") ===

GnuCash 2.6.17 is included in Ubuntu 17.10, released October 2017
http://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome/gnucash