New Documentation Bug

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 19:25:19 EST 2017

Hi David,

Am 01.02.2017 um 17:32 schrieb David T.:
> Frank,
>
> I agree that the wiki would be a better place to document this; that
> is why I raised the subject here. The bug in question discusses
> adding information to the Guide and Help, and I am wary of adding
> ephemeral information to the documentation, given how long the cycle
> ends up being, and how things in the docs seem to take on a life of
> their own.

"Since version 2.4.0 the Quartz package includes SQLite support." will
not not be wrong as long as we do not remove it from packaging or the
whole DBI stuff.

Did you see my notes on the bug 777893? One could start the subchapter
"Save as ..." of the to be written chapter "File Menu": Traditionally
GnuCash stores your data in an XML file, but since Version 2.4 you can
also use an SQL database... explaining pro and cons.

> On the other hand, it is also clear to me that most users don’t seem
> to access the wiki when they run into problems, and I worry that
> relegating this information there will make the transition more
> difficult for new users.

I have no exact hit rates docs vs. wiki. Offline users might only have
access to the docs.

E.g. google "GnuCash PostgreSQL" gives me
1. https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/.../gnucash.../basics-files1.html
2. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL
3. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/[De/]FAQ

So I think, that are the places where online user will first look.

My thoughts of the documentation workflow are based on the expected
consumed time:

Problems and solutions, which are more than once discussed in the
different user mailing lists or IRC should first go to their respective
FAQ pages of the wiki. OS specifics and other conditions might then be
added.

FAQ review:
more complex problems should get their own page.

Wiki review:
The content of end user oriented wiki pages incl. FAQ, which is missing
in the docs should flow in the docs.

So the questions is not "Should the info be in either the wiki or the
docs?". It should be in booth, but it might arrive there at different
times and use different styles.

> David
-->8--

Frank