Handling of xml2po based docs translations like the italian; was: gnucash-docs maint: Glossary: Transactions have at least 2 splits

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 8 12:17:46 EST 2017

Op woensdag 8 februari 2017 14:14:40 CET schreef Frank H. Ellenberger:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.02.2017 um 10:06 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> > Frank,
> >
> > It looks like a second change slipped in your commit to include the
> > Glossary in the Italian translation.
>
> That was " Bug 777891 - Guide Glossary lacks proper ID tag or mention in
> Basics …" which was commited to C after your "Update Italian guide
> translation following the merge of business chap…"

I know this very well. I pushed the original commits :)
I just don't know why the entity wasn't added properly by simply calling are
make recipe. I assumed this was something John's make recipe was supposed to
do. But that may be a false assumption. I haven't dug deeper at this point.

> > This was apparently missing from my most recent commit. I wonder however
> > whether this should have been automatically added by running make in the
> > Italian translation's build directory ? Or was there something else I
> > should have done to get that ?
> >
> > Geert
>
> on Aug 10, 2016 I reverted the italian update from the last commit
> because we had decided "better obsolete and coherent than partly in
> English". But jralls committed on 14 Sep 2016 "Automate regeneration of
> the Italian xml files."
>
> Starting from this date, if you had run make in a higher directory and
> did not unselect guide/it/gnucash-guide.xml it got updated - resulting
> in a mixture of italian and english sections.
>
> I don't know if I missed some discussion there and if that behavior was
> intended.

John can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess this was done because
to timely catch issues like files being added/removed.

So the motivation now probably is "better a documentation that can be built
but has English text intermixed than one that's consistent in Italian but no
longer can be built".

Just my thought here.

Regards,

Geert