gnucash master: Actually checkout gtest 1.8.0 in travis tests.

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Jan 15 16:29:48 EST 2017

Op zondag 15 januari 2017 09:40:58 CET schreef John Ralls:
> > On Jan 15, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:>
> > Op zaterdag 14 januari 2017 13:33:58 CET schreef John Ralls:
> >> Updated	 via  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/c1e38d5a
(commit)

> >> 	from  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/67a0e46f (commit)
> >>
> >> commit c1e38d5a9f30711cea0a6effbedea725291b8a17
> >> Author: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> >> Date:   Sat Jan 14 10:33:14 2017 -0800
> >>
> >>    Actually checkout gtest 1.8.0 in travis tests.
> >>
> >>    The other way just makes a new branch pointing to refs/master/HEAD.
> >
> > John,
> >
> > While I certainly prefer your approach (I wasn't aware you could
> > immediately specify a branch/tag to check out while cloning), are you
> > sure my version would create a branch pointing at head ?
> > I would think it would checkout the release-1.8.0 tag, which is a detached
> > head at that point. Or do I read your comment incorrectly ?
>
> Geert,
>
> I think I had a brain-fart. I was thinking of `checkout -b release-1.8.0`,
> which will sometimes fail to do what you want (make a tracking branch when
> there's a corresponding origin/release-1.8.0. branch; it never works with
> tags, of course). Without the '-b' it will of course checkout the tag.
> Sorry.

Ok, got it.

> While we're on the subject of git, you turned off travis builds on the trunk
> branch, but we kept that around to make life easier when we moved away from
> svn. Maybe it's time to just remove it?

I have been considering that for some time as well. For myself I kept
postponing it until the 2.8 release, but I think we could remove it now
already as well. It needlessly clutters the git output in several places
without adding anything but a convenient name for people migrating from svn.
The migration is past us now by a couple of years. So yes, I'm for removing
the trunk alias of master.

Geert