Document Update Instructions have been revised

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 21 19:35:28 EST 2017

Hi David,

A - IMHO I don't think this page is too large. It is quite easy to navigate using the index at the top. It would be annoying to have to jump to multiple pages.

B - I agree it could be better structured. I don't think it needs a new page. If you're going to put 3.2 to 3.5 into a separate git set up section, it would be good if you could include some instructions on how to start a new modification (including rebasing) having already set up git and your build directory structure previously.

I previously created Git_For_Newbies with the idea that new users should really be using that for all the git stuff (using Pull Requests instead of Patches if possible). Git_For_Newbies applies equally to the documentation as to the programs. I haven't gotten around to fixing Documentation_Update_Instructions yet. If you can, Great! :-) It may be that much of Git_For_Newbies needs to be brought into Documentation_Update_Instructions but changed to specifically refer to the documentation. But that seems like a lot of duplication...

C - Having an additional outline as you suggest may be helpful, although the index already gives a 1 page summary - on my new 27" monitor anyway :-). I'm not sure I agree with moving the stuff already in the Preface into other areas. I think it is useful to get some detail of what is involved before reading everything.

D - Why do you need the original xmllint + xsltproc commands? Don't the 'make' commands work for you? In my experience, 'make' is installed by default in all the Linux distros I've used (not many I admit). Is that not the case in Mac OSX? You can create a build directory structure within your existing local repo. I thought about leaving the original commands in the documentation but couldn't think of any reason they should be needed. They would just confuse new documenters.

Regards, Chris Good