Github Terms of service

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Mar 3 10:03:29 EST 2017

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:03 AM, Herbert Thoma <herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
> I just stumbled over this quote on LWN:
>
> "Github recently drafted an update to their Terms Of Service. The new TOS is potentially
> very bad for copylefted Free Software. It potentially neuters it entirely, so GPL licensed
> software hosted on Github has an implicit BSD-like license. [...]
>
> I am deleting my repositories from Github at this time."
>
> The qoute links to here:
> https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/removing_everything_from_github/
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I guess we should discuss if this has
> any consequences for the GnuCash github repository.

The author didn't read the sections he cited carefully enough. All of his objections are about rights that the paragraphs in question say are granted *exclusively to Github*, for *display on Github only*. The license terms published with the repository still apply to everyone else who accesses content stored on Github.

Regards,
John Ralls