source file encoding

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Mon May 15 23:37:35 EDT 2017

> On May 15, 2017, at 6:15 PM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> When searching in all source files using jEdit, it complains about 4 files.
>
> 2 use encoding ISO-8859 and jEdit says data could be lost if opened as
> UTF-8.
>

> $ file src/app-utils/calculation/fin.c
>
> src/app-utils/calculation/fin.c:               ISO-8859 text
>

> $ file 'src/tax/us/de_DE/taxtxf - LIES MICH.txt'
>
> src/tax/us/de_DE/taxtxf - LIES MICH.txt: ISO-8859 text
>

> Most source files seem to be Ascii.
>
> Is this something that should be fixed?
>

> I can tell jEdit to reload using a particular ISO-8859 part but how do I
> know which one to use, or doesn't it matter?
>
> I guess it doesn't matter as I'm not intending to change any of these files.
>

> Others jEdit complains about are:
>

> $ file src/report/jquery.jqplot.min.js
>
> src/report/jqplot/jquery.jqplot.min.js: ASCII text, with very long lines
>

> $ file 'src/tax/us/de_DE/txf-USt-VA Anleitung 2011.pdf'
>
> src/tax/us/de_DE/txf-USt-VA Anleitung 2011.pdf: PDF document, version 1.5

Sounds like jEdit needs to be fixed. No editor incapable of handling multiple charsets is suitable for programming. Try a real editor, the choices being Vim and emacs on Unix or MSWindows. On Mac you can add BBEdit to the list. There are probably others; Geert and Frank use Eclipse so it probably has a capable editor.

Emacs opens fin.c as  a plain ascii file, as I'd expect. The files in tax/us/de_DE (how the heck did *that* happen?) have some Latin-1 (aka ISO-8859-1) characters that should be converted to UTF8, but they haven't been modified in several years so there's not much urgency to it.

Regards,
John Ralls