Some history of wikis: was: lots

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Thu May 18 21:13:27 EDT 2017

Hi,

Am 18.05.2017 um 04:45 schrieb David T. via gnucash-user:
> Robert,
>
> I will note two points about the page to which you refer:
>
> 1) this page is a section of the wiki that contains an old,
> *non-current* draft of the User Guide which was created in 2007, and,

No, https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Concept_of_Lots
refers
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Talk:GnuCash#Where_does_the_Devel_link_belongs.3F

It was tansferred from http://linuxwiki.de/GnuCash/DevelTexts which
again was used before Derek set up wiki.gnucash.org/wiki. That page has
the following disclaimer:
"NOTE: This page is probably very out of date. The current english
GnuCash wiki is on http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki , online since December
2005. If you want to contribute to any of the discussions below, please
move the content from here to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki and continue
the discussion there."

> 2) the section that you quote is, I believe, intended as as proposal
> to improve the lots features (although it’s difficult to tell because
> of the fractured English used throughout the page).
>
> I would strongly recommend that you consult the current Concept Guide
> and Tutorial at http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide
> <http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide>

Note: This link returns the incomplete german translation "GnuCash Kurs
und Konzepte" for me. Better use
http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide (frame) or
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/ (direct)
or

> David
>
> P.S. -> To the Wiki gurus: I have suggested in the past that having
> these “Draft Guide” pages on the Wiki can be problematic and cause
> troubles, but was told that they are not linked directly in the main
> Wiki. Apparently some people can still find them and get the wrong
> impression about GnuCash funtionality. I reiterate my recommendation
> for the removal of these pages from the wiki.

IMHO We should not break the deep links of http://linuxwiki.de/GnuCash
but feel free to redirect them to somewhere else

>> On May 17, 2017, at 11:09 PM, Robert Hoogendoorn
>> <robertmbh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks David for your quick reply,
>>
>> 1. I read about the marking of lots on this site,
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots
I cc the devel list as discussion about the wiki belongs there.
Geert already started the thread
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2017-May/040650.html

Regards
Frank