Some history of wikis: was: lots

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 22:17:11 EDT 2017

Frank,

I strongly believe that having outdated, unmaintained—and ultimately WRONG—information available to the casual user is the wrong approach to take.

How an English translation of a German draft of the English Guide got onto the main GnuCash wiki (in English) in the first place is puzzling to me, especially since the Guide has existed since the early 2000s (going by the copyrights). It would seem that such draft language should have been proposed as a change to the documentation through the bug process. If the wiki was being used as a sounding board for these proposed changes, then they should have been removed from the wiki once the discussed changes had either been implemented or dismissed. They should not be a permanent part of the wiki.

I also believe that having the same information in two (or more) places is a recipe for someone having to straighten out later (like now). The information in the draft concept guide on the wiki has been incorporated into the official Tutorial and Concepts Guide for quite a long time now. I’m not even sure why they exist at all. It looks to my uneducated eye as if they are an English translation of a German draft of the English Guide, which was put up on a German Linux wiki back before 2008.

It’s not entirely clear to me, but it sounds like you’re saying that these outdated, incorrect and ultimately wrong pages need to stay forever in the wiki because the discussion page that asked about them (in 2007) refers to them. Similarly, you want the GnuCash wiki to forever keep these outdated, incorrect and wrong pages because some OTHER outdated, unmaintained (since 2008) wiki pages refer to them. That’s circular reasoning, and makes no sense to me. A wiki isn’t supposed to be a place where pages can only be created or changed, but never removed.

Simply put, it’s time for these pages to go, and the talk page and linuxwik.de <http://linuxwik.de/> can remove the references to them as well. Since I have no connection to linuxwiki.de <http://linuxwiki.de/>, someone with a connection to them should suggest this to them.

David