Wiki Landing Page

doncram doncram at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:44:56 EDT 2017

Hi David T. and jralls.   Thanks David T. for doing that.  And now 7 days
have gone by and I find I can create pages in the Wiki, also.   I hope you
don't mind I am taking some bold steps to try to move this along better, in
my view, and to avoid confusion, although it may temporarily cause some
confusion among just us.

The version that David T. created at wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Wikihomesandbox had
some content that David T. is proposing, but it was not a "sandbox" like I
was meaning to suggest, because it was not a full version of the proposed
new mainpage.  The point with the sandbox is to have a full version that
people can review and see is okay.  It is too confusing to talk about
changes otherwise, given short available time/attention from very few
editors/developers around.  A new proposal should be crystal clear.  Also,
it was not placed at a subpage of the mainpage, which I find potentially
confusing.  Also, the page did not start as a copy of the mainpage, so
diffs will not show what was changed.  We want it to be easy for editors to
see what was changed.

It was good in that it did self-identify at the top what it was intended to
be, but that itself is a little confusing, because that self-identification
is meant not to be included in the new mainpage.  I am reminded that in
Wikipedia, a sandbox for a protected page is identified by a boxed template
displaying at the top, which is very clearly separate from the text that
follows.  I will try to find or create such a template for use within this
GnuCash wiki.

The way I want to proceed is to create a full new version of mainpage, at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox.   So just now I copied in the
entire content of the GnuCash mainpage, itself, to there, to start a page.
Except for an external link to Paktpub publishing company, which a spam
filter would not allow me to keep.   Then I made the changes that I think
David T. is suggesting, i.e. to replace the Documentation section with his
drafted text, etc.  I removed most of the mainpage text, and copy-pasted
his entire content in, instead.

Please see [
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?title=GnuCash%2Fsandbox&type=revision&diff=12690&oldid=12687
this diff], which shows what I temporarily understand to be David T.'s
intended changes to the mainpage.   David T., I bet that is not completely
the new version of mainpage that you intended.  Perhaps you intended to
keep some existing sections besides the leading one?  Please make further
revisions there.

At the page you created, I put a link to the new sandbox page.  I hope you
don't mind.  In a wiki, it is possible to revert back to the old version of
a page, so nothing is lost.  If you do mind, and want to continue
developing there instead of at the new sandbox page, then unfortunately I
think it will be more confusing, and my effort to "help" now will turn out
to have hurt rather than helped.  But I could then try to help by
deleting/undoing everything I have now done, so as to try to erase any sign
of disagreement about how to proceed.  (But then, I would find it hard to
support your suggested changes, because for me it is hard to see what the
suggested changes are... so I would probably just say nothing further on
how the wiki mainpage should appear, and I would try to make contributions
elsewhere.)

What I would prefer is for you both to make revisions to the
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox, and perhaps also to have some
discussion at the Talk page of the mainpage about whether it is ready or
not (or such discussion can happen in emails).

Hope this helps, knock on wood
Don