Introduction to the team

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Nov 8 10:11:42 EST 2017

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 11:33 PM, m.j.k at runbox.com wrote:
>
> Dear GnuCash-developers,
>
> as I appreciate the value of the GnuCash tool for years now, I thought of getting involved by giving a hand with the development. As it is mentioned on the wiki site to "introduce yourself to the development team" here we go. Hopefully it is the right list/place for it.
>
> I have a degree in CS, and thus am familiar with OO programming and programming in general. My skills in C are good, but not yet as good as they could be, and I have a great pleasure working with the language. Further I am also interested in helping out with your long-term-plans, especially the code-transition to C++. It has been a long time since I programmed in this language, however, I would be delighted to dive into it again!
>
> As this is my first Open Source Project, please bear with me that I am not yet familiar with the policies and how communication works. While I skimmed through the wiki sites, every additional piece of advice and help from seniors is highly appreciated!
>
> Thank you for your attention, so long and all the best,

Mario,

Welcome!

Geert has provided a good introduction but I’d like to clarify one thing: Unless you have a compelling reason to work in Windows, don’t. Although the new Mingw-w64 build environment is less painful than the old shell-script based Mingw classic environment, it’s still a bit fragile and many of the unit tests don’t work. It’s also very unix-ish; GnuCash doesn’t build with the Microsoft toolchain.

In addition to the C++ page, there are a bunch of useful links at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development> that I encourage you to read.

Please do join us on IRC (irc.gimp.org <http://irc.gimp.org/> #gnucash), it’s where we have most of the less-formal conversations that make a development team a team.

Regards,
John Ralls