Introduction to the team

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Nov 8 04:29:54 EST 2017

Hi Mario,

Thanks a lot for offering your help. The gnucash project is big and there are
many things to do, so you'll surely find something interesting to work on.

Good you have already read through the wiki pages. Those contain a lot of
information on how we develop gnucash and how you can contribute.

As a first practical step I'd propose you clone the gnucash repository and see
if you can successfully build gnucash. You didn't mention your preferred
operating system. In theory you can develop on most systems. However gnucash
started on linux and there are fewer pitfalls on that platform. There are
separate instructions for Windows and OS X/Quarz on the wiki if you prefer
those though.

Once you got there you have several options, but I recommend to start small
for your first contribution. Experience shows the first few commits need most
guidance, so if you spend a lot of effort on a big first change, it can be
discouraging if you'd have to redo large parts.

Your first contribution can be a bugfix, like a fix for a personal itch. Our
bugzilla database has lots of issues if you need inspiration.

We can certainly also use a hand in our code transition to C++. As you
indicate it has been a long time since you have programmed in that language,
you may have some studying to do on the new paradigms introduced in C++11 (or
in a few months we'll probably even embrace C++14/17). The language has
evolved a lot and we want to write modern C++. Our C++ wiki page [1] has
several pointers to good lecture.

Lastly, communicate with us! We don't bite :D
It will help you to get on the right track early on. Verify what you intend to
do before you dive in too deeply. And if you have questions, feel free to ask
here or on the #gnucash IRC channel over at irc.gnome.org.

Most importantly: enjoy the ride :-) We're looking forward to your
contribution(s)!

Geert

[1] https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/C%2B%2B