should ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY be a system or user variable

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 13 08:36:07 EST 2017

Hi,

My personal feeling is that "it depends."  If you're running on a
multiuser server then yes, it should probably be per-user.  If it's just
your home machine, then it can be a system variable.  I suspect most users
fall into the latter category and not the former.

-derek

On Mon, November 13, 2017 8:24 am, Wm via gnucash-devel wrote:
> First, many thanks to all that have put in work on F::Q since the turn
> of the month, it has prompted me to try and find where I can make a
> contribution again.
>
> Having got my ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY today I'm wondering if it should be a
> user variable rather than a system one as the instructions show at the
> moment.
>
> Obviously this is a fluid situation and there certainly isn't any rush
> in GnuCash version terms but I thought I might see what other people
> thought after a couple of weeks and before everyone gets used to it
> being one or the other.
>
> I think it should be a user variable if only because it didn't feel
> right editing system files to contain user specific info, I don't think
> F::Q itself will be fussed much so long as it is in the environment when
> needed.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> --
> Wm

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745