[GNC-dev] New balsheet (and P&L report), API considerations, and (slow?) KVP in Account.cpp

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 7 18:22:37 EDT 2018

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 5:00 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> No, the grouping should be part of the account template - at least in
> the current state. At some point in the future one could think about
> additional account attributes to improve reporting...

I think this is only a limitation of the current report. If it’s being re-written anyway, I’d suggest:

Default sections for the report, each section having it’s own account selection option(s). (not one all-encompassing set of accounts for the entire report)

In the long term, default sections could be labeled based on a preference setting for the book/entity. But short term, There could be multiple balance sheet ‘reports’ each with the appropriate sections for entity types and/or jurisdictions. Or, simply have a set number of sections and you get to name each one whatever you want and select its own accounts to include.

This way the user can specify which accounts are ‘current vs. fixed’ or ’short term vs. long’, which accounts constitute ‘cash’ and so on. (or whatever the sections may be)

Of course, it’s just a suggestion. I can’t say how much extra work that would be, but that approach might cover many use cases.

> BTW has somebody a better expression here? For "source" I would expect a
> selection from transaction, price database and online quotes.

’Source’ with those options seems pretty reasonable as to what is being asked for. (though maybe preface ’transaction’ with ‘previous’ or something similar)

> From
> https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/556716da-ba2e-4bed-9bd7-c7232542ab6f.png
> I am confused. I would have expected:
> Liability and Equity (header)
>  Equity (group)
>  Liability (group)
> Liability and Equity (footer)

I agree, they should appear once, combined is fine as that’s pretty standard, but they should only appear once.

Regards,
Adrien