[GNC-dev] Windows Wiki page

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 15:26:40 EDT 2018

Hello,

I had reason to click on the Windows wiki page (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows>), and I think that there is a lot of information parked there that should be placed elsewhere or removed. I am hesitant to edit this page in part because I do not use Windows, and cannot speak from personal experience. Furthermore, I would like to get input from the group before I undertake a major edit on the page.

Information that should placed elsewhere includes sections 1.3, 1.4 and 1.7. These sections explain general functionality that should be available to all GC users through the FAQ. Windows-specific notes could be incorporated into the resulting pages.

In addition, I think the Q/A format is stilted and not helpful on this page. I would rewrite it as straightforward prose.

Finally, I see a lot of elements that are dated (F::Q, sections 2 and 3), and I see mention that issues related to older versions are moved to an Older issues page. They underscore the fact that such structures lend themselves to obsolescence, since information gets added to these structures, but is rarely pruned or updated. Perhaps the older issues could simply be deleted, and the wiki focus on providing information on the currently-supported versions?

Cheers,
David T.