[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:05:06 EDT 2018

I will try inline editing, even though it is very difficult in Gmail....

David C

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:44 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> David C,
>
> So for clarification this is the first link you posted about:
>
> > https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/txns-
> register-oview.html#txns-regstyle1
>
> Notice this is in the folder /docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/
>
> But the link on the Documentation page and the link you included (both in
> that first post and in the last one) that said how you got there was this:
>
> > https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=help

When I follow that link the url is not the same as when I go down the tree
through the online help.   That must be why I thought there were aliases
involved and why it appeared to me that you were not seeing the same
material.  It appears that the modifiers doc=help and doc=guide in phtml
point indirectly to the proper directories.  Thus, the correct (at this
time) short names are help and guide.  I would find it easier if they were
changed to something more intuitive such as help and tutorial.  I will
leave that part of the discussion to the other thread.

> So yes, that IS version 3 (listed here as ‘rev=3’) but that’s not the same
> link as above. (though it might be the exact same content, I didn’t check)
>
> I can’t find any way, other than typing it in directly, to get to the
> /docs/v3/C/ directory wherein lies the /gnucash-guide/ and /gnucash-help/
> folders and contents. All of the links on the documentation page seem to
> point instead to the /viewdoc.phtml which never changes the URL as you
> navigate the document. (my guess is the viewdoc.phtml template is serving
> the pages physically located in /docs/v3/C/, we just can’t see the real URL)
>
> ------------
>
> And now after I backed up a few directories from the first link above, I
> see regardless, *I* was in the wrong place. I didn’t see a ‘4.3' because I
> was looking at the section numbers which are roman numerals, not the
> chapter numbers. Section IV in the Guide are for the Appendices which are
> organized by letters. The only notation I saw then for 4.3 was in the Help
> Manual, which is where my confusion came from. (but that really is where I
> think this info should be - see my previous comment)
>
> And sure enough there is https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/
> which I would have expected to see.
>
> So, we can put aside the naming of the folder since that’s correct. But
> what certainly would be helpful is if the page itself indicated which
> document you were viewing. That bug is still there.

Yes, I agree.