[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 21 03:46:39 EDT 2018

that first post and in the last one) that said how you got there was this:
> > https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=help
>
> So yes, that IS version 3 (listed here as ‘rev=3’) but that’s not the same
> link as above. (though it might be the exact same content, I didn’t check)
>
> I can’t find any way, other than typing it in directly, to get to the
> /docs/v3/C/ directory wherein lies the /gnucash-guide/ and /gnucash-help/
> folders and contents. All of the links on the documentation page seem to
> point instead to the /viewdoc.phtml which never changes the URL as you
> navigate the document. (my guess is the viewdoc.phtml template is serving
> the pages physically located in /docs/v3/C/, we just can’t see the real
> URL)

The viewdoc.phtml page is a first and imperfect attempt to integrate the
documentation in the website.

It ensures that while presenting the documentation the main website's
navigation menus and style are still visible. Before that page existed
clicking on a documentation link would suddenly remove all website decorations
and just show you the documentation on a plain white page with no option to
navigate to other parts of the main website.

viewdoc.phtml is just a wrapper that opens the actual documentation in a
separate frame. If you ask your browser to open that frame in its own window
you'll see the direct links David posted here.

The use of a frame is old-fashioned and has indeed many limitations. It was
the only option at the time that could be implemented with reasonable effort.

Of course it would be much nicer to have bread crumbs and clear links for each
page. And a documentation navigation menu integrated in the website's main
decorations.

However from how I understand this would mean to create a specialized docbook
style used exclusively to generate the documentation section of our website. I
believe the way we currently generate the gnucash html documentation is not
fit for integration. Writing such a specialized docbook style is possible, but
I never found time to dig in.

Regards,

Geert