[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 21 11:54:26 EDT 2018

> On Aug 21, 2018, at 7:12 AM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> I haven’t advocated for renaming the documents. I changed a couple of headings on the main wiki page.
>
> There are two documents,
>
> 1) the Help Manual
> and
> 2) the Tutorial and Concepts Guide
>
> as outlined at gnucash.org.
>
> One might refer to them respectively as the “Help” and the “Guide”. There is no "Help Guide.”
>
> As for Adrien’s question regarding what goes where, there was a discussion a few years back on precisely this issue—i.e., on what exactly is meant by "Help Manual” and “Tutorial and Concepts Guide” and what, therefore should go into each document. I can’t put my hands on that thread right now, but the upshot was that the Help was seen by most as the place that identifies “this button does this function” kinds of instruction, while the Guide is intended to contain “if I am trying to accomplish goal X, here is how to do that.” These categories are admittedly fuzzy around the edges. I admit that I am more of a “how do I do X” kind of person, and so have worked most on upgrading the Guide.

I think John addressed this very well in the other thread about Wiki main page editing. His description of the two documents should probably now be put on the website as well.

> Finally, the website was redesigned <mumble-mumble> years ago, and the current generic addressing scheme was implemented at that time. I commented on it at the time, but we never came to any resolutions. I suspect some kind of batter and breadcrumb solution (along with a flash frying in a nice deep fryer) might help with navigation. When I am directing someone to a specific page in the documentation, I right-click the link to the page in question, and copy  the link. That provides the full URL.

Thanks for the tip. And that is probably how David C copied that direct link. The picture is much clearer now.

Regards,
Adrien