[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 00:37:46 EDT 2018

So. I just tried this out on bug 791169. I believe it worked?

On August 23, 2018, at 11:47 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

David,

It’s git. It’s never difficult to remove stuff, but on the website there’s no reflow to get back what you’ve deleted, so take a  little more care than usual. (Well, there is, but not from the web interface: https://medium.com/git-tips/githubs-reflog-a9ff21ff765f)

You’ve already got a clone and you made a PR a week ago, so you’re most of the way there already.

{Optional} Create a branch in your repo on the website: Click on the “branch” drop down and enter a new branch name.

Now pick a file and click on the pencil. Make an edit or two. Scroll to the bottom where you’ll find two edit boxes, one for the commit summary and another for a detailed message and a radio to commit your changes or to create a new branch and a PR all in one go, which is why I marked “create a branch” as optional.

This method creates one commit per file. If your change is more complex and you want to have edits of more than one file in a single commit, there’s a work-around at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17815895/can-i-edit-two-files-then-make-one-commit-using-github-web-based-editor.

When you’re done playing, just change the branch back to master and click the “# branches”  in the bar on the root page. You’ll get a list of current branches with a red trash can on the right side. Click the trash can to delete your play branch.

Regards,

John Ralls